Friday, May 12, 2006

Stormy Nights and Fog Horns

Wow, the rain was unbelievable here last night. By the time I went to sleep, the rain was coming down so hard that the windows shook. It made me think about another storm that happened years ago.

I was really tired and decided to do a different meditation before going to bed. I spent fifteen minutes visualizing myself on a boat off of Montauk Point. Fortunately, I’m able to form pictures in my mind with great detail. I felt the gentle swaying of the boat, saw the beautiful blue water, smelled the salty air and felt the smooth wood railing. I pictured a blue lighthouse, with windows overlooking the water surrounded by sand and shells. Occasionally the sound of a fog horn could be heard in the distance.

Well I certainly slept well that night. Throughout the night I heard the fog horn over and over again. I thought it was just my imagination recalling the details of the meditation. I woke up feeling relaxed and refreshed – perfectly ready to start the day.

My husband, on the other hand, woke up with huge bags under his eyes. He told me that he kept waking up during the night and had difficulty falling back to sleep. He said it was one of the worst storms he could ever remember.

I told him how well I had slept and that I heard a fog horn occasionally through the night. He gave me one of those looks of disbelief. He then told me that the fog horn I had been hearing was actually the sound of house and car alarms going off, thunder, trees banging on the windows, branches breaking off, and the leaders and gutters overflowing.

I thought it was funny; he didn’t until he got some more sleep.

The power of meditation to relax mind, body and spirit is an awe-inspiring experience. It certainly is a great way to reduce stress. And a good night’s sleep isn’t bad either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home