Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Thoughts for Mother's Day

My friends and I were talking about Mother's Day. We reminisced about all the silly little crafts we made for our own moms when we were growing up. We laughed about how we used to dream of having our own families when we were younger. And now here we are with our own children almost grown.

My son will be away at college this Sunday. I already know that he will call, tell me how much he misses me and loves me. He'll remind me that he'll be coming home for the summer next week so we can do something special then. And we will. My daughter is already making plans for a special Mother's Day. That's just the way she is and always has been. To her it is a special day, a time when we do things together like baking or making candy. I cherish each day spent with her, Mother's Day or not.

Mother's Day isn't just a once a year holiday for us; every day spent with my children is Mother's Day. It is a day of making memories. This is the day that they got to make special plans hoping that I would love each moment of the day. And I did. I look back on all the funny things that happened in years past -- like my daughter making a batter for chocolate cake and taking the beaters out of the bowl before turning the mixer off. We found out just how far chocolate can fly! Or my son letting me know what special meal he thought I should make that day or how he thought I would love going to a baseball card show! And I did.

This Sunday we should remember that the day isn't just about moms; it is also a day about making special memories that our kids can laugh and think about years from now when they have their own children. To those no longer with us, thank you for the great memories left behind. To my daughter, Jennifer, I'll be looking up at heaven this Sunday wishing that you were here with us. I'll love you forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home